Monday, August 29, 2011

Thoughts on Tom Kowalski

I am deeply saddened by the passing of Tom Kowalski.
I worked for many years with Tom at The Oakland Press, and he was largely responsible for me getting a staff job because he went to bat for me when I needed it most. It was typical Tom. He had a big heart. Tom was always willing to help with a problem, might it be moving, might it be putting in the VCR you couldn't figure out, or with sound advice about what was going on if you were troubled.
He was a great beat writer. Not only his reporting skills, but Tom was an incredible writer. He was also a great competitor. If you were on the Lions' beat, you had your hands full not only beating Tom on stories, but just keeping up with him. I especially appreciated his courage. He was respectful, but never afraid of those he was covering. And Tom was fun. He had a great sense of humor.
Like many people, I will miss him very much. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Kyle said...

Thanks for the thoughts Pat.

2:35 PM 
Anonymous Michele said...

Beautifully written, Pat.

2:52 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lost a unique voice this morning - I enjoyed the time I shared with him as a listener. Men like him are not replaced, they stand alone, and I was lucky enough to have been along for the ride. Godspeed Tom.

Allan

9:09 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat...

I remember you saying once on one of your radio shows what good friends you and Tom were. I feel for you and all those who knew him personally.

He was my favorite 'voice' on the Lions for years. I'll miss his talent and personality very much.

Mike P.

10:59 PM 
Anonymous Bill said...

Pat

Thank you. You, Tom, and Keith Langlois were an unbelievable sports team with the press. Keith retired? Now, my lions buddy has passed. I am terribly sad. Just...

Please...please take care of you. You are Detroit's finest now. I value your opinions and thoughts greatly.

May you find comfort in this time....

11:31 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home