Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On the Tigers' annoying surge, Suh, Rhymes and Shoelace

The Tigers are maddening.
They have beaten the lowly Indians and hapless Royals like a drum the last few days - when it doesn't matter in regard to the standings.
But when they have faced those teams in the past, with something on the line, they have consistently come up short.
On one hand, yes, it would be better if the Tigers close this season strongly - if for no other reason than they have collapsed each year with Jim Leyland as manager.
On other hand, it does mean relatively in the little bigger picture, especially when it is observed just how lame the Indians and Royals are as the Tigers have defeated them with ease the last few games.
Where was this before?
It is a more than slightly annoying aspect about the Tigers.

Random Thoughts

- Forget the stats: Ndamukong Suh has played very well for the Lions in the first two preseason games and should have an enormous impact on the team from the start of the regular season. In his position, "almost getting there" is very important. It looks like he is going to require a double team on most plays. Suh played exceptionally at Denver Saturday, bringing a lot of pressure from the middle of the defensive line.

- Five reasons to not get excited about Will Rhymes: Nook Logan, Luke French, Chris Shelton, Brennan Boesch and Clete Thomas.

- To me, Denard Robinson is by far the best Michigan quarterback. His speed separates him from every QB in the nation, let alone those on campus.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Pat, the Tigers are what they are a middle class team. They can't compete against top teams but they do well adainst lower class teams.

11:51 PM 
Blogger Razors Edge said...

Hey Pat! Long time listener (and I mean *laugh*) first time comment on your blog and this comment is very off-topic, just to warn you. If you want to delete this comment, I'm fine with that.

I've called the show 3 times in the last years, twice within the last week. I called up tonight because I disagreed with you about keeping Ordóñez on the team.

Here's the issue that I encountered each time I've called. The call screener/handler (whatever that person is labeled) hung up on me the first call and did so the second time.

I thought I callers were able to call the show and talk to you about the issues but it doesn't seem this is not exactly true.

The issues are decided by your call handler. I told him I wanted to talk to you about Ordóñez but then he hung up on me because I didn't want to talk to him.

Truth be told, I didn't want to talk to him. As far as I'm concerned he should just take names and put callers in a queue. These are open lines, right? (not so much from my experience.)

There's a bigger issue here IMHO and IMHO it taints the authenticity of the show. The callers we listen to and hear on the radio are only the people and topics the screener wants the audience to listen to (and possibly what he wants YOU to hear.)

If you're serious about "open lines" then there shouldn't be a gatekeeper to filter out legitimate arguments that callers may have. How can you have spontaneity when any information reaching you is hijacked by a screener?

Please don't think I'm asking for an apology because I'm not doing that. I just wanted to express my disappointment in the way your show is handled.

12:52 AM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Book,

It could be worse. The Tigers could be like the Yankees - a team of mercenaries like all these fantasy baseball fans seem to want - buying this guy and that guy - instead of growing their own like the players in your 5 reasons list.

I hear about being maddenning - but don't blame players like Rhymes (who I happen to enjoy a lot at second) Boesch (who really got this town fired up for 2010) - they are what's good about being a Tigers fan.

Blame Dombrowski for the bad signings after 2007 - and kept us stuck with a core that folds at the slightest pressure.

The difference is that the Yankees win - but the Tigers build real true fans.

Imagine if you wrote for the Kansas City papers?

7:39 AM 
Blogger msu1983 said...

Rhymes is a career .289 hitter in nearly 3000 minor league at bats so his production so far should nto be that big a surprise. What is a surprise is that despite those minor league numbers, he's never been considered a legitimate prospect.

1:22 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Barry,
I agree - except they only do so well against the lesser teams when their nothing on the line.
Caputo

12:38 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Razors Edge,
The call screener was just doing his job. It is to talk to you and find out what you plan on discussing with me.
Caputo

12:42 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Razors Edge,
The call screener was just doing his job. It is to talk to you and find out what you plan on discussing with me.
Caputo

12:43 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
I hear you on the Yankees and buying a team, although they do have a few players - particularly Jeter, Cano and Rivera - who fans can identify with as strictly their own.
Caputo

12:45 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

msu1983,
In my opinion, based on what I've learned down through years, Rhymes chances of being a long-term major leaguer are minimal. Far less as a regular. It doesn't mean he won't make it, but it's highly unlikely.
Caputo

12:47 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home