Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Three Biggest "X Factors" For The Tigers In 2010

Three biggest "X" factors for the Tigers in 2010:
1. Miguel Cabrera, Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen - The Tigers’ player payroll is still relatively big, and it’s because of these three players. Their contracts for this season are worth roughly $48 million combined. Ordonez’s lack of power production last season was alarming. Guillen has been injured a lot and doesn’t have an obvious position. Cabrera has off-the-field issues which have come to light, and has been prone to long dry spells when it comes to producing clutch hits. It’s not like these three haven’t produced in the past, but are Ordonez and Guillen still capable, and can Cabrera get his act together? If the Tigers get more bang for their bucks from these three than they did last season, scoring won’t be nearly as big an issue as it seems.
2. Austin Jackson and Scott Sizemore - This is the great unknown. Neither has played an inning in the major leagues, yet they are replacing Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco in the Tigers’ lineup. They should be ready. It’s not like they need more minor league time. But expecting them to play at remotely the same level as Granderson and Polanco as rookies is unrealistic and could be the Tigers’ downfall.
3. Alex Avila - He slowed down after a hot start in the major leagues, but it is evident Avila has left-handed power. And it is the Tigers’ greatest need. Manager Jim Leyland will have to weigh the balance of Avila’s left-handed power with the defensive prowess of Gerald Laird at catcher. But if Avila were to hit 15 home runs this season in part-time role, it would be an enormous boost.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Ross Maghielse said...

Jeremy Bonderman and Joel Zuyama? If Bonderman could stay healthy and win 13+ games this year that would be huge. Zuyama could be a nice setup man for Valverde.

1:54 PM 
Anonymous William said...

Pat,

I wish I had an opinion on the Tiger's roster moves, but I don't because I can't figure out if they're a buying team or a selling team.

I understand why they made the Granderson trade, they struck while the iron was hot. That indicates selling team to me.

They sign Valverde. That indicates buying team to me. I wouldn't have done that, I think Zumaya is a natural closer, as long as he's healthy, and he's already on the roster. I just don't get what they're trying to do.

1:57 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I think there are two many x-factors for the tigers in 2010. 1 - which pitchers are going to step up. Will Bonderman be reliable enough to take that 4th pitcher role. Can Robertson and or Willis earn at least some of that big pay day they recieved? 2 - Who is going to hit? We couldn't hit last year. What makes us think we will hit this year? 3- Which young guys will finally step up?

overall I feel if we can add one more reliable bat we might be able to compete this year. I just don't feel like we have that much needed bat. But what do I know.

I know this I pray we can keep the Pistons here in Detroit. I'd really hate to see them leave or get moved out of state. I think it would be a devistating loss.

12:14 PM 
Anonymous Shawn said...

I have to agree with William, I am not sure what the Tiger’s plan is. My guess is they assumed Rodney, Lyon, and Granderson weren’t worth the money, or had reached their peak. In the case of Rodney I agree. If Todd Jones was a roller coaster, Fernando Rodney was the Demon Drop. Most days I had to turn the channel, because I found watching him too nerve wracking. Granderson probably isn’t going to get any better, at least not at Comerica Park, and they did receive some great prospects. The scary thing is there is, before Granderson, the list of centerfielders the Tiger’s paraded through here lists like a who’s, who’s, of never wases. Anyone remember Gene Kingsale, George Lombard, Nook Logan? At least with Curtis you knew you had some good D in the middle.

Lets be honest, everyone here loves baseball, or else we wouldn’t be talking about it. I watched back when the lost 119 games, and I am going to watch next year. Realistically, I don’t think there chances are very good for winning the division. But that is what is great about the spring. Everyone can hope!

12:59 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Ross,
I think that's a tough order for Bonderman. His injury was a shoulder and his velocity dropped. He threw free and easy last year - just not hard. Different with elbows because of Tommy John surgery.
Caputo

10:14 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

William,
I am as perplexed as you are. Are they in it to win it - or just hoping to be in it?
Caputo

10:15 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

maddog52,
I think Coke will be the No.4 starter. Bonderman will get shot at fifth spot. Doubt NBA will let happen in Detroit - especially after what took place in Seattle.
Caputo

10:16 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Shawn,
I hear you on last season. Were they exciting or just annoying. I mean, it seemed like the Tigers were always making it harder on themselves than necessary.
Caputo

10:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home