On Tigers Pitching Staff, Jimmy Howard And Prediction About MSU-Northern Iowa
If Bobby Seay's arm ailment lingers for a long period, it will make it less likely Phil Coke will eventually assume a spot in the Tigers' starting pitching rotation. And Coke to the rotation is part of Plan B should Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson and/or Jeremy Bonderman not pan out.
And, as encouraging as spring training has been for that high-priced, underperforming trio, it remains the more likely scenario none will pitch effectively this season.
Another "X" factor in this equation is Daniel Schlereth. It remains difficult at this point to know exactly what the Tigers can expect from him this coming season - and when.
- If Jimmy Howard keeps this up, how can he not win the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year?
- Red Berenson's Michigan hockey team was fabulous, after a mediocre regular season, while winning the CCHA tournament as a seventh seed. It would be a great story - and a terrific thing for this state and area - should the Wolverines advance to the Frozen Four at Ford Field. Backup goalie Shawn Hunwick - all 5-7, 165 pounds of him - has been brilliant for the Wolverines.
- Prediction: Michigan State won't miss Kalin Lucas as much as anticipated Friday against Northern Iowa because Korie Lucious will emerge as bonafide floor leader.
- My column in Tuesday's Oakland Press about how Sidney Crosby proved again Monday against the Red Wings he is more hype than substance: http://tinyurl.com/y8a5hrn
- Transcript of my live chat Tuesday on Tigers' prospects, Lions draft, minor league team in Oakland County, MSU in NCAA tournament, Red Wings-Penguins game and high school basketball: http://tinyurl.com/yc4bojk