Tuesday, October 27, 2009

About Michigan, The NCAA, Jimmy Howard and Where Polanco Ranks

I know everybody supporting Michigan is nervous about the NCAA's inquiry into the Wolverines football program, but I doubt the actions will be harsh if it only involves what was written in the Free Press story.
It seemed more like slap-on-the-wrist type of violations - at worse. I think the concern would come if other problems are uncovered. My best guess: Not much will be.

Random Thoughts

- The Red Wings have to start Jimmy Howard a lot more than they have been if for no other reason than they must find out if he has what it takes to be Chris Osgood's backup. Problem is, their margin for error when it comes to winning games is thin right now.

- Scott Sizemore's ankle injury isn't serious enough that the Tigers will re-consider their decision to not re-sign Placido Polanco. Where does Polanco rank all-time among Tigers second basemen? I'd say third - behind Charlie Geheringer and Lou Whitaker. I'd put him ahead of Dick McAuliffe, but by a slim margin.

My column in Wednesday's Oakland Press about the Red Wings: http://tinyurl.com/yfq7289

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Marty said...

Pat,

I would put Polanco equal to Whitaker, but may drop him down since he has only been here a relatively short period of time. It is kind of funny though, because Lou Whitaker holds the Tigers record for striking out, while Polanco is one of the least likely Tigers I have seen to strike out (Randal Simon is the only guy I recall who may have been less prone to strike out). Whitaker also drew a heck of a lot of walks, where as Polanco almost never drew a walk. But even so, I think both were of equal importance for the team, and I couldn't say that I would rather have one on my team than the other, so I would place them equal at number 2.

Hope your week is going well!

-Marty

1:18 PM 
Anonymous Ernie said...

Polanco ahead of Gary Sutherland and Tito Fuentes? Really?

1:55 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
Lou played so much longer with Detroit than Poly and had much better. Both great fielders, but Whitaker won more Gold Gloves.
Caputo

11:28 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Ernie,
You forgot Damion Easley.
Caputo

11:30 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home