Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Perfect Moment

I'm at Comerica Park as I write this, sitting in the press box directly above home plate.
The park is mostly filled this afternoon. It is a beautiful summer day. Not too hot. Not too cold. A little breeze.
Just right in every way.
Brandon Inge has hit a home run. Rick Porcello is pitching well. Ramon Santiago just legged out a triple and scored when Curtis Granderson knocked him in. And then Placido Polanco drove in Granderson.
The Tigers are in first place by a game over the Chicago White Sox in the American League Central. Now, I don't know if the Tigers will win or lose this game. Or capture the division title.
I only know this is what baseball is supposed to be like. Games like this. Seasons like this. Pennant races like this.
I'm not sure, however, if this town is really enjoying it fully. And honestly, I don't understand why.
To me, this is absolute perfection.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Fred Brill said...

Pat, that's your best post ever.

I am sitting on the deck listening to the game on this perfect day and agree whole-heartedly.

Perhaps your perception of the fans not fully enjoying this season is due to the fact that we just want this pennant so bad.

2:15 PM 
Anonymous Marty said...

Pat and Fred,

It is probably more a perception based on the observation that people who are upset about something seem to be more likely to make a lot of noise about it. I like this penant race, and have no qualms about it. I don't know anyone who does either. But they aren't shouting from the rooftops how great it is, like those that are upset about the losses are.

-Marty

3:15 PM 
Blogger Glen J Stroup (WiredTiger) said...

Pat,

I'm with you on this one. This team could have been a disaster. Instead it's in first place. no matter what happens I'm going to enjoy the ride.

4:57 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

Great post. I am totally with you. I was at the game last night for Edwin Jackson's gem, and it was perfect: a fast-paced, tight pitcher's duel. The race in '06 wasn't as much of a race as it was the Tigers losing the huge amount of momentum that they had built prior to the All-Star break. Season like '07 and this year, make or break, are what pennant fever is all about.

Travis

5:29 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
Or maybe the fans just don't believe in this team.
Caputo

1:43 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
I agree. But come on. They have been in first place for three months. Even if they collapse, it has been a better than expected season. They were picked for fifth.
Caputo

1:44 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Glen J Stroup (Wired Tiger),
Based on a lot of things, it should have been a disaster.
Caputo

1:45 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Glen J Stroup (Wired Tiger),
Based on a lot of things, it should have been a disaster.
Caputo

1:45 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home