Monday, March 16, 2009

No Downside To Lions' Trade For Peterson

I don’t see a downside to the Lions trading defensive lineman Cory Redding to Seattle for linebacker Julian Peterson.
Redding was always willing with the Lions, but the last two seasons he wasn’t able to live up to the huge contract the Lions gave him after he surprisingly posted an 8-sack season in 2006. It didn’t matter when Shaun Rogers was still around and getting double-teammed. Redding still wasn’t productive - despite the Lions overall success the first half of the 2007 season.
Peterson started virtually all of Seattle’s games last year. He will be 31 next season, but still seems to have retained his physical tools. He is an extraordinarily-gifted player, who has often changed the course of games going back to when he took over Michigan State’s upset of No.1 Ohio State in 1998.
As importantly, he gives the Lions a premier defender. Peterson is not the type of player opposing offenses can afford to ignore. There is also a matter of confidence a player of Peterson’s stature brings to a defense.
He didn’t come cheap. His contract with the Seahawks, signed in 2006, was backloaded for the next few years. He is a $6.5 million player in 2009, but at least there is the possibility Peterson will provide production in conjunction to what the Lions are paying him. Redding wasn’t doing that, and it seemed unlikely he would in the future, either.
It was easily the best and biggest move the Lions have made this off season. Could a run at Jay Culter be next? Wouldn’t be surprised.

Random Thoughts

- Another rough outing by Zach Miner Monday only made the possibility of Rick Porcello beginning the season in the Tigers’ starting rotation all that more likely. Give the kid a shot. He can’t be any worse than Miner, Nate Robertson or Dontrelle Willis. And I’m not among those who feel like if Porcello doesn’t do well, it would damage his psyche beyond repair. I believe it would only help him understand what is necessary to pitch effectively in the major leagues.

- I know all about the RPI, but honestly, how can the Big Ten have seven representatives in the NCAA Tournament? Seems to me like the conference was relatively mediocre this season. Guess it says something about the overall strength of college basketball these days. Or is it parity rather than mediocrity? Hmmm.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Eric Chase said...

Pat - While Peterson is still a good player and in AMAZING shape, isn't a LB only as good as the line in front of him.

Schwartz must've had one encounter with Redding and said, thanks but no thanks.

Schwartz likes to pressure the passer without much, or any blitzing, I don't think he can do that with the current Lion linemen - so what are his intentions at that position?

Thanks!

4:04 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

Martin Mayhew has really impressed me with his ability to take his assets and get the most out of them in the open market. Trading an expendable player like Redding (Fluellen, Cohen, and Darby all play UT as well; plus Cody is still available at that position, but Langston Moore is no longer available) for a pro-bowler at a position of need is amazing. They cleared up the one position where they had way too many bodies for (UT), and got rid of the huge salary that made it impossible to play any of those players at the same time! Add that to the deal for Roy Williams, and Mayhew is very impressive indeed.

I really like the signing of Grady Jackson as well. He is the sort of solid veteran role player that they need to build around. Plus he is a position of huge need for them (they may have a lot of UT’s, but they didn’t have a single NT last year.) They seem to be building the same way New England did when Belichick came there. Plug holes with veteran role players and build a team around their strengths (not try to fit them into a predetermined scheme) It worked well there, and they were able to replace those veterans with players they drafted and developed within a few years. (For the most part)

I actually have some hope for this team this year. I’m not sure that I will fall into the same trap I fell into last year and believe that they are better than it appeared they would be after seeing them play in the preseason. I hope not, because that was a huge fall for me. I thought they would be below average before the preseason, but seeing how well they played increased my hopes which were subsequently dashed.

I managed to forget the reason I had such low expectations for them in the first place: Marinelli doesn’t play games to win them; he puts players in the worst position to succeed purposely. It is his nature; he does this because he is a position coach who has always been in charge of developing players; and you cannot develop a player by making him do what he does best. He put players in positions where they weren’t comfortable or could easily succeed at to make them better. The problem being that it made the team worse. (Obviously, none of what I said was cold hard fact; just my opinion. I have no insight into Marinelli other than what I have gleaned from the media.)

-Marty

4:25 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Book, for what it's worth, I agree with your position on Porcello staying with the team after camp.

The only way I could see it harming Porcello is if in the Bigs he thinks he has to throw harder or change his motion in some way that can cause injury. - Overthrowing. If he keeps doing what he is doing now and learning as he goes - I think he will be the Bonderman that Bonderman never was.

But to say it's going to damage his psyche - I'm with you - these guys are not china dolls.

Three more weeks.

5:40 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I say this to Redding. Bye and don't let the door hit u on the way out. I think you had to much money in your pockets it was weighting you down. Kept you from getting out of your stance. Man had one good stretch and that was the contract year.

Would I prefer Peterson 2 to 4 years ago as oppose to now. Absolutely. However it is still a huge upgrade then what we had. I think there are couple other veterans out there that still have life and could help this team out. (If samari rolle gets let go by the ravens), Holt, Pace, If big baby gets let go. I really wanted to get Curry. If we still drafted him I'd be ok with it. However, the lions big priority in my mind should be cutler. THis is a couple year process. CUtler would come here. If for any reason to toss to Calvin Johnson who is a QB's dream. I think the lions can afford to give up a 1st round pick. I think we still can address what ever NEEDS we have to. So lions just need to keep making smart moves. Build right. what ever we don't get to this year we get next year. which is why I'd still go Curry. Curry to me is a Calvin Johnson type player that u just don't pass up and u will be sorry if u did. I know u got peterson, but hell for one year. I think the move all depends on Cutler. IF we get cutler I say go OT. HEck we could even trade our 2 second round picks if we have to and move back up in the first round. we got leverage.

ON the tigers. How can u not allow Porcello in the rotation and make PErry your closer. Both are way better options then you ahve now. Personally I think the tigers can be in need for one more starter. Cause there is still no certainty of Bonderman being ready. Also what about a guy like Clevlyn? Are the tigers willing to lose this guy for nothing? or do you see some sort of deal with a few guys before heading north? Any word?

10:36 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Eric Chase,
Good point about linebackers and their line. Peterson is an elite player. Don't see where he has lost much out of his tank. If that's what Schwartz thought about Redding, then he was right. Not an impact player.
Caputo

3:55 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
I don't know about Jackson. He is 36, but don't know if mobility is a factor. Not like he has ever been mobile. Loved the Peterson trade, but been underwhelmed by the free agent signings. Then again, the Lions aren't exactly at the top of everyone's list these days.
Caputo

3:57 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
When I covered baseball as a beat writer, didn't matter what kind of day I had otherwise - it got great on my way to the ball park for that night's game. Can't wait for the start of the season. And I am, surprisingly, enjoying the World Baseball Classic. The US-PR game was compelling.
Caputo

3:59 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
Thing about Redding, it wasn't an attitude issue. The guy works hard and plays hard. He just isn't as good as his contract suggested. Don't know how he had an 8-sack season.
Caputo

4:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home