Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In Truth, Orlovsky And Lions Need Each Other

It’s strange soon-to-be free agent quarterback Dan Orlovsky and the Lions are so apart when they are an ideal fit for each other.
From Orlovsky’s standpoint, his best opportunity to start would come by returning to the Lions, even considering general manager Martin Mayhew’s apparent fixation on Daunte Culpepper. It’s been awhile, five years, since Culpepper has been an effective player in the NFL. His underwhelming performance last season wasn’t just because he didn’t have much time to prepare after the Lions essentially signed him off the street in the middle of the season. He has also been injury prone, missing the end of last season. So if Orlovsky does return to the Lions, even without being the No. 1 QB, his odds of eventually starting would still be good.
From the Lions’ standpoint, Orlovsky was their best quarterback last season. He is still young enough that he may be developing. If the Lions do select a QB early in the draft, they still need a starter to begin the season.
It would be wise for both Orlovsky and Mayhew to cut the rhetoric here. The team and the player could help each other.

Random Thoughts

- Being a lot heavier this season than last season isn’t necessarily a bad thing for Joel Zumaya. He lost a lot of weight last season, and there was some concern among Tigers officials it hindered his performance. It’s actually being viewed a good thing within the organization.

- Boston College defensive tackle B. J. Raji was a lot more impressive in his Senior Bowl workouts in pads than he was at the NFL Combine. Don’t see the Lions considering him first overall. Aaron Curry is a different story. He really aided his cause at the combine.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat, I am concerned that by letting Orlovsky walk, the Lions are tipping their hand that they will be drafting Stafford first. I agree with you that Curry is the pick at one, then take a defensive tackle at twenty to build a credible run defence. Worry about the offensive tackle at thirty-three.
By the way, I sent you an email yesterday that nailed Don Banks' draft picks for the Lions. I hope Mayhew and Schwartz read SI.

7:28 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I tell u looks like Joe Dumars has his work cut out for him this off season. Especially the way the team performed against Cleveland. It will probably define him with this club.

You know book there is so many things being thrown at the lions. One thing I was wondering would the lions be interested at all if they can reach a cheap deal in bringing in a guy like Derrick Brooks? Doug and Gator were askign today what we think of Mayhew, but I don't think we can answer that until the season begins and this team is set. He has a tough hand. I mean the guy has to draft NFL players. Not good college players , but NFL Players. Orlovsky he could probably get a backup gig. If he wants to start though I think he is making a big mistage by leaving. Cause even if Culppeper is considered the front runner I do believe he could win the job.

from all I am hearing with Zumya he sounds like he is back to form. Question I have for you is what will the Tigers do if lets say Willis, Robertson, Zumya, Perry, Rincon look very impressive during training - What type of deal would dombrowski look to make to improve this team?

9:27 AM 
Blogger Glen J Stroup (WiredTiger) said...

I think if the Tigers do have excess pitching it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep it all and try to build a dominate bullpen. Robertson and Miner would be very effective weapons out of the pen and be the "6th" starter when needed.

11:14 AM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Pat,
Personally I think Mayhew's commitment to Cullpepper was a distraction tactic for bargaining position.

I can't determine however which is more important to a QB - to get playing time or to not be a Lion. I myself would probably opt to sit on a good bench that start for the Lions.

Orlovsky's not washed up like Cullpeper is - he still has a chance to have a carreer - and if he can do it elsewhere, I would bet he'll be gone.

I also question if they tipped their hand regarding Stafford - I really think they're playing poker and bluffing both their players and the Media. I think this is all posturing right now. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit?

But I can see a guy like Stafford wanting to throw to CJ. He's the target you can't miss.

12:31 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Rick Stanczak,
We'll see whether the Lions sign another free agent QB and who it might be. That would be nore a tip about what they are planning to do in the draft.
Caputo

8:38 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
I don't think they will do anything trade-wise in spring training. What you see with the Tigers, is what you'll probably get.
Caputo

8:39 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Glen J. Stroup (wired Tiger),
I disagree on that front. Miner has usually been better as a starter and it doesn't seem to me like Robertson has the makeup for the bullpen. Time will tell.
Caputo

8:41 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
That's an interesting theory. I hadn't thought about it that way. It seem to me like Mayhew thinks more of Culpepper than others do.
Caputo

8:42 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home