Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Another Blowout Road Loss At Purdue Not A Good Sign For MSU

Nobody respects Tom Izzo more than I do. I think he’s a great coach. I think he’s an even better person.
But lets be honest here: If he wants to get his program back to where it was during the salad days, when the Spartans were a bonafide threat to win the national championship each year, he’s going to have to find a way to measure up better in late-season conference road games.
It’s one thing to lose some of those games. That’s bound to happen. But the Spartans weren’t even competitive - again - Tuesday night at Purdue.
They were well-rested. There really wasn’t any excuse for it. It’s a sign something is still missing. It’s an intangible factor, as much as anything else. There is plenty of talent on that team. The Spartans are the best team in the Big Ten. Why can’t they play like it at Purdue? That’s three blowout losses in a row there.

Random Thoughts

- Funny how nobody really talked much about Gary Sheffield during the off season, but he was the first one seemingly everybody in the media went to on the first day of full-squad workouts at spring training. Like him or not, Sheffield spices up the game by speaking his mind. I see that as a good thing.

- At least A-Rod admitted he used performance enhancing substances. What I have to be suspicious about, however, is the degree. I think it would be naive to think he used them for just a three-year period. He had a great year in 2007 - perhaps his best. To me, that has to come under question, too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger John Bernia said...

To me, games like last night's at Purdue are the closest thing to an NCAA tournament game the regular season can produce. Big pressure, a need for added focus, and absolute execution are all things the Spartans needed, and did not seem to have last night. As you consider who will go far in the tournament, you have to see Pitt (big win at UConn the other night) as one of several teams ahead of the Spartans right now.

4:35 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Book,

I have a bit of a problem with the current A-Rod roid controversy right now. As I understand it, the test he failed was one given quietly (although I don't know how quiet) in 2003 was supposed to be secret as a fact finding statistical excercise to see how widespread the roid problem was.

Please correct me if I misunderstand the circumstance.

I my understanding is correct - I am really upset with Selig in his reaction to the news of A-Rod.

There is no way to put that genie back in the bottle now. And I think A-Rod would have considerable reason to persue legal action against MLB for this breach of trust (there's a joke, I know - who breached who's trust!).

The only solution I can imagine is total amnesty to all athlete's who used roids prior to date, and then a rule to impose a lifetime ban from the MLB on any players who use roids frome here on.

As for Sheff - who I love as a Tiger and hope has a great season ... I only hope he does not appear on any such list - because - taking his age into consideration as well - his proneness to injury leads one to wonder ...

1:11 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

John Bernia,
Conference road games are very difficult to win against quality opponents. The dynamic for a neutral site NCAA Tournament game is different. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the best NCAA tournament teams tend to win road games in conference play. In that regard, this wasn't good loss for the Spartans.
Caputo

3:53 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
I have the same issue with that you do. Why is he the only one paying the price of public humilation for testing positive that year? It's become such a twisted issue that I just wish it would go away. But it isn't anytime soon. Maybe never.
Caputo

3:56 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home