Monday, February 16, 2009

Joe Dumars Has To Do Something, Doesn't He?

The NBA trade deadline is arriving Thursday and the Pistons are not playing well at all.
January was a disaster and February, so far, has been even worse. The Pistons are just three games above .500 - and a game under since making the trade for Allen Iverson.
The idea of not making the playoffs, which seemed remote just a month ago, could become real if the Pistons don’t turn it around quickly.
New Jersey, which would be the last team out of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference as the NBA returns from the All Star break, is just four games behind the Pistons.
The Pistons’ schedule isn’t that easy, either, especially given they have lost their home court advantage. The Pistons are just a game above .500 at home this season. That might be the most disturbing aspect of all about their slide.
Joe Dumars has to do something about this, doesn’t he? The Pistons can’t remain silent at the trade deadline under these circumstances, can they? And how much of the blame falls on first-year coach Michael Curry?
It doesn’t have to be a blockbuster deal involving Amare Stoudemire, but at least some augmentation to shore up their defense.

Random Thoughts

- Brandon Inge is a lifetime .237 hitter. A key for the Tigers is that he raise that into the .260 range and provide power (around 20 home runs) near the bottom of the batting order. If that doesn’t happen, the Tigers lineup will be too top heavy.

- Stephen Threet’s transfer from Michigan was predictable. The handwriting was on the wall once Michigan landed Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier. Threet’s style was a mismatch for Rich Rodriguez’s offense. The Wolverines will have much different look offensively next season, but will it better? Opening the season with a freshman quarterback is always a precarious situation. And I doubt Nick Sheridan will win the job.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Inge - I look at baseball averages like golf handicaps; They generally do equate to the type of player you are. It's not often a handicap will raise significantly unless cheating is involved, likewise averages in baseball.

I did misunderstand you on the drafting a QB issue. My apoligies.

Allan

1:27 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Allan's right. I vote we start sneaking into Inge's hotel room and shoot 'roids in his butt.

"Take one for the team" I say.

Great idea Allan.

Okay, I'm kidding. I'll take Inge's glove at third and let the hitters hit.

Batting averages do actually equate to the type of hitter you are. That's why they've been around a hundred years.

And my golf handicap fluctuates a lot depending on if I'm hitting the fairway or not that year - or - if the drink cart comes by frequently or not.

I agree Book, it would be swell (yes - I say swell) if Inge could up his batting average - or at least up his slugging percentage - but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Just my humble opinionated opinion.

7:52 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I don't think Joe has to do something. Really we been spoiled. As Pistons fans we may just have to weather the storm and put up with an early exit this season. I do feel though that if we can get a guy like Amare or Bosh a head of time then I would explore that opportunity if I could. If not then well we got to huge expiring contracts that still puts in a position to be back on the fast train to competing once again.

Another thing I wouldn't mind exploring is the removal of Flip. My mind I thought we should of kept him for just one more year or even gave the reigns to Porter. I just think Curry is in way over his head at the moment and one more year as an assistant may of served him better. I think it shows in his decision making.

Speaking on decision making. I think that that is a true key to the Tigers. Lets face leyland didn't have a good year as a manager last year either. One thing the tigers have going for them this spring is a lot of debth with the pitching. Almost seems like they have the ability to make a move if they choose? Do you see them making a move if so with who Robertson, Willis, Miner? I'd like to see us add one more solid bat to the lineup. I just think we could utilize our park with a solid LH hitter with some consistent pop.

11:12 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Allan,
You're right. There does seem to be an area players fall into. The other factor can be a significant injury.
Caputo

4:46 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
If Inge is more like the Inge of 2006 than the Inge of 2008 it would give the Tigers huge boost. That way they can justify him playing at third.
Caputo

4:48 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
You might be right. It does seem like there is a cycle in the NBA that dictates a down year or two for just about every team. Just the reality of the cap and needing that one star player in most instances.
Caputo

4:49 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home