Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Michigan Football Will Be Just Fine Without Pryor

It did seem odd, in the aftermath of another disappointing Michigan football season, that the Wolverines’ faithful was putting all their hopes for the future in one recruit, quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
He is a great athlete. He was certainly the best football player I saw - by far - watching the U.S. Army all star game. But Michigan is above living and dying over one recruit. So he went to Ohio State. Good. That will only serve to give Michigan more motivation come each November - as if the Wolverines need any more.
Pryor’s act got tiring. Seemed to me he delayed his announcement to seek attention more than anything else. A lot of people disagree with me about this, saying he just wanted his high school basketball season to end before focusing on his final decision. Although it is impossible to know for sure, I’m not buying it. Nor am I buying that Michigan’s recruiting class is down because they didn’t land the big prize at the end. Seems to me that new Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez closed surprisingly strong at signing day - and Michigan will be just fine.

Random Thoughts

- Calgary, Colorado or Vancouver are the most likely first-round matchups for the Red Wings. None will be a pushover, either. All are strong in goal. All play with a certain confidence against the Red Wings. Dominik Hasek better be ready.

- Of the all the second seeds, I think Texas has the best chance to advance to the Final
Four. That is very good basketball team. In retrospect, I’m surprised Michigan State was able to beat the Longhorns way back when at The Palace.

- Baseball America came out with a list of the best players 25 years or younger. Miguel Cabrera was No. 1, and Justin Verlander was No. 3. Considering Dontrelle Willis and Jeremy Bonderman are 26, and Curtis Granderson 27, the Tigers’ long-term future could be bright - if they rebuild their farm system quickly the next two years. Oh, and they need to get Cabrera signed to a long-term deal.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book,

Couldn't agree with you more regarding Pryor. I do take umbarge terming Michigan's season being disappointing. Bowl wins have a way of being a panacea for regular season shortcomings.

I'm hoping that Wing fans get lucky and that they will face the Minnesota (Central time zone) Wild in the first round.

Tiger's future does look good. This year's team fate is in the hands and arms of the bullpen. Most of us learned the old baseball adage, "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain". This year the Tigers may be reciting, "Bautista and Seay and pray for neigh".

3:46 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

I was happy that Terrell Prior didn't sign with Michigan, but to assign a conspiracy theory to a 17-18 year old kid seems a little far fetched to me. So what if he took his time deciding where to go. I did too, and I remember feeling like it was the biggest decision of my life; and up to that point, it was. I just have to respectfully disagree with you that the kid did anything wrong. Even so, I didn't want him at Michigan. There would have been way too many high expectations for him here; and far less at Ohio State. I think both he and Michigan are better off this way.

-Marty

8:52 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Andrew Winkle,
The Wings chances would be best against Minnesota. The Wild aren't as strong in goal as those other teams. LOL on the bullpen comment. The Tigers bullpen just doesn't look good.
Caputo

11:33 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
A lot of people agree with you on that. I don't know. You might very well be right. I just know the Pryor thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Couldn't help it.
Caputo

11:34 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
A lot of people agree with you on that. I don't know. You might very well be right. I just know the Pryor thing kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Couldn't help it.
Caputo

11:34 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

To be honest, Pryor and his attitude never bothered me; it was the massive coverage he had everywhere he went that bothered me. I like hearing about prospects, but the Pryor coverage was bordering on ridiculous! (and that was just about where he was going to go to College, it had nothing to do with his actual skills)

-Marty

3:37 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Pryor. It's hard to come up with another reason why he delayed. Looking at it objectively, OSU was a no brainer. I love UM, but they are now in rebuilding mode with a new system and coach. We are not talking a few months, more realistically it will be a few years IF IT WORKS. OSU is stable and established and will compete for championships right away.

Allan

4:18 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home