Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Shaun Rogers: What A Waste Of Talent

The reason Shaun Rogers is such an enigma isn’t because he has a chance to be merely a good player. It is because he has a chance to be a great player, perhaps the best at his position, defensive tackle, in the National Football League. But because of what happened last season, when he acted like a bitter knucklehead, got suspended by the league for four games and then missed the rest of the season because he was slow recovering from surgery, I wonder if Rogers will ever reach his potential. He did get one big contract from the Lions. It should be enough to set him up financially for life. He doesn’t seem to have the motivation for greatness - or to win. You could say a trade would help Rogers, but I am not so sure. The ability needed to play in the NFL is not something that can be turned on and off like a switch. Once a player loses it, he never seems to recover. Seems to me, Rogers has lost it. Not showing up for voluntary workouts is just another sign his passion for the game is gone.

Random Thoughts

- Spring training is just spring training, but then again, it might be nice if Justin Verlander at least turns in one good outing in Florida. He has been lit up like a Christmas tree so far in the Grapefruit League. It might be cause for concern.

- I saw Detroit Redford’s Manny Harris - Michigan’s Mr. Basketball - play Tuesday at Calihan Hall. I thought his 47-point performance was more because of Detroit Osborn’s porous defense than what he did. Kalin Lucas from Orchard Lake St. Mary’s, in my humble opinion, is the better player.

- Speaking of Calihan Hall, I think it is great building. The sight lines are excellent and it has charm you don’t find in modern arenas. I love the place.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Verlander already had an outing with four perfect innings, so he has had that "one good outing in Florida". The problem is that he hasn't had many of them.

9:48 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
I was in Florida and saw him pitch twice and he got hit hard both times. I see where his ERA is above eight and he got rocked again the other day. I guess my point is it would be good for Verlander and the Tigers if he pitches well before they break camp because sometimes these things do carry over to the regular season.
Caputo

10:08 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Thinkingman,
I understand that, but Verlander has only been in the majors a year. It'd be different if he were more of a veteran. I guess, too, that I wonder if he is just too good to be true. When a player is that good that soon, I guess it's a natural tendency to wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. Rogers is a cancer in that lockerroom. I saw a couple glimpses of that last season - and it wasn't pleasant.
Caputo

2:39 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with you on Bonderman being the opening day starter. Jeremy pitched well in playoffs last year and has earned his spot as the ace. Verlander pitched poorly this spring and needs to follow up last season with another solid year. As for Rogers, he is not the future of the Tigers and may have pitched his last inning in the majors.

8:41 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home