Friday, March 16, 2007

Say it Ain't So, Sammy, Say It Ain't So

Sammy Sosa has hit in all 10 of the exhibition games he has played in this spring - and I don’t know whether to laugh or cry about it. Is it bad for baseball or just another of the many ironies about the game? The Rangers have placed him on their 40-man roster. It wouldn’t surprise me if he made their opening day club. In my mind, Sosa is a bum along the same lines as Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro. I found it telling how he suddenly couldn’t speak English before congress. And how he went from a skinny kid to the Incredible Hulk and magically started hitting home runs. I also consider him one of the all-time phony players. This could be totally unfair, but as far as I am concerned, Sosa’s is just big act. His teammates with the Cubs had issues with him and he was selfish. But he did hit 60 or more home runs in five straight seasons. He did have a strong following among the fans. And there is no definitive proof he took steroids. Maybe a return to form by Sosa would be good for baseball. Then again...probably not.

Random Thoughts

- Are you bothered Duke is already of the NCAA Tournament? Me neither. Sometimes Coach K and his pious attitude is a bit much.

- If the University of Michigan cares about basketball, then Tommy Amaker has coached his last game for the Wolverines.

- See where Kevin Curtis signed with Philadelphia. The Lions off season has been underwhelming, to say the least. They aren’t even good at setting up smoke screens. Matt Millen isn’t going to take Brady Quinn in the draft. Like he is fooling anybody.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

Don't care if you publish this but I figured you could fix your entry because Sosa didn't hit five straight years with 60. He did hit four straight years with 50 (just missed a fifth by one homerun with 49 in 2002).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sosasa01.shtml

2:35 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sosa,Mcguire,Bonds,call them what they really are.Cheaters of the worst kind.Not only cheaters but liars and thieves.The only type worse is a rapist, molester or murderer.They knowingly deceive, reap the benfits then lie over and over again to cover it up or to convince themselves what they're doing is OK.

3:24 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I think the lions have had a very interesting off season. I can understand the approach they are taking. At the same time. Didnt' they some what take that approach last year. How did Verba, Rex Tucker, and Corey Bradford work out? Only thing I can think of is that they plan on building through the draft. Get the young guys develop them into a good core team then two years from now make the splash they need to much like the Bucs did when Dungy arrived. Cause lets face it the players they have signed there is reasons why nobody else went after them. If the lions plan on building in the draft. Then I'd suggest they stop worring about 5th round picks and start trying to aquires some good late first and second round picks. cause I think there is talent there that can fill needs now. Millen is going to take this team down further and further until it can't be taken down any more. Us as Lions fans can continue to buy into it or finally show the Fords that we don't care about them either. WAKE UP DETROIT.

I only have one thing to say about Sosa. Screw him. I don't care what he does here on out. He went from good up front fan friendly guy to A-Whole with a snap of the fingers. First the corked bat. I didn't know. Then the congress me no speak englis.. See to me the difference between him and Bonds. Is I thought Bonds was a really good if not great player before he got juiced up. He didn't win all those MVP's looking like Hulk Hogan. Where like you said Sosa was a weasle. Then all of a sudden He looked like Andre The Giant standing next to a bunch of kids hiting beachballs out of the park. I am not saying bonds is a saint nor a good guy. ONe thing weather Sosa or McGwire did roids or what ever. They did help baseball when baseball really needed it in my mind. THat chase they had made people pay attention again. Weather they want to admit it or not.

So far so good in the brackets. My only loss has came in the form of Purdue beating Arizona and I took NOtre Dame over WInthrop. Other then that i am perfect in the brackets. I have Georgetown, Florida, Ohio St. and I think UCLA. With Georgetown taking out Florida in close championship game. Doesn't matter the person that doesn't even work where I am will win the office pool. ALways happens. Can't these guys keep there wives out of it haha:).

1:44 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Brian,
My bad, had a brain you-know-what and confused him with McGwire. I stand corrected.
Caputo

3:56 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Matty6295,
It's pretty obvious they did cheat and having Sosa back only raises the issue more. I don't know if that's a good thing.
Caputo

3:58 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
It seems like they have to overpay for players and aren't getting players other teams are necessarily that interested in. We'll see about White. He is supposedly emerging. But haven't we heard that one before?
Caputo

3:59 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home