What does the Detroit Tigers start mean? Here is what history tells us
- 2011: When they won 95 games, the AL Central and advanced to the ALCS; 16-18, 7 games off the AL Central lead.
- 2009: When they won 86 games and lost Game 163 after tying with Minnesota for AL Central title;18-16, tied for division lead.
- 2008: When they entered the season with enormous expectations and fell on their collective faces with 88 losses; 14-20, 3.5 games off AL Central lead.
- 2006: When they won the AL pennant as a 95-win wild card team; 21-13, 2.5 games off AL Central lead.
- 1987: When they won an MLB-best 98 games during the regular season, but lost in the ALCS to Minnesota; 15-19, 7 games off AL East lead.
-1984: When the Tigers lead wire-to-wire and won the World Series; 29-5, 8-game lead in AL East.