Sunday, October 11, 2009

Are The Lions Really Better Coached?

One of the issues, I admit I am grappling with in the aftermath of the Lions' 28-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, is whether they are better coached than in the past.
I wrote in my column for Monday's Oakland Press that last season the Lions would have lost this game by three or four touchdowns.
It's how I feel about it. Not only would they have rolled over on Rod Marinelli after falling behind early, but Jim Schwartz and his coaching staff did make the necessary adjustments in the second half - particularly defensively. At times, the Steelers' QB Ben Roethlisberger actually was confused.
I admit, I have been impressed by Schwartz thus far. Yet, it may be giving him too much credit.
I mean, is he really that good of a coach? Or would any coach following Marinelli look good in comparison?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

There's no doubt they are a better team both talent wise and from a coaching standpoint. I believe they finally have the right people in place to, eventually, produce a winning team. For me I want to see where this draft class is at in 3 years. Can this staff develop and corral the talent they draft?? If they can they will win, because like you said, this staff actually makes adjustments to try and win a game.

8:46 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good thoughts Pat, I think there's a lot to be said about this possibility. The thing i struggle with is wondering how so many of the recent string of coaches could ALL have been that bad. Perhaps they were just bad fits for this type of team.

Sure this isn't a .500 team this year, but at least Schwartz has us playing like we're not expecting to lose.

jeff@activefan.com

10:00 PM 
Anonymous Michael C said...

They seem a lot better coached to me. Yes, last year's staff was historically bad - I'd say all 3 key coaching positions were among the worst at their positions of all time (Colletto to me seemed like a particularly asinine choice at the time it was made).

But Schwartz's staff seems a hell of a lot better than Mooch's, Mornhinweg's, and any other coaches we've had around here in a long time.

Is Schwartz going to be future contender for coach of the year, or even the hall of fame someday? Who knows, but for once it feels like we actually have an NFL level coaching staff in Detroit.

5:46 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Jim,
This draft class does have more upside than any they have had in a long time. They might have gotten a couple good players out of last year's draft as well. Cherilus and Felton had done well. Smith is a pretty good player.
Caputo

1:39 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Jeff,
I didn't understand why Mariucci didn't do better. Mornhinweg just wasn't ready for that. Marinelli was just a real bad for head coach. Couldn't understand why there were those in the league pushing for him.
Caputo

1:40 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Michael C,
It does seem like Lions players are in better position to make plays this season than in the recent past.
Caputo

1:41 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home