Friday, September 04, 2009

My Thoughts On Ernie Harwell

Ernie Harwell is a friend of mine. He has had a profound impact on my life. He hasn’t rescued me from a fire or lent me a large sum of money to get out of debt - or anything like that.
His impact has come from little messages. A phone call here. A short note there. Perhaps an e-mail. Most have been complimentary - when I’ve been feeling down. I don’t know if it has been coincidence or not, but his timing has been uncanny - and uplifting. Other times, Ernie has reminded me about how one should act professionally and personally. When you add all those "little" messages together, they present one "big" impact. What a good man.
I feel for Ernie in his situation of being diagnosed with cancer. I also know him well enough to understand he is at peace. It’s sometimes forgotten how tough he is - the man was a marine, you know. I feel for his wife, Lulu. I’ve had some nice talks with Lulu that I remember well and treasure. She makes a great chicken salad sandwich, too. As good as Ernie is, she is his better half. Ernie would be the first to tell you that.
I’ve gotten a lot more out of knowing Ernie than he could ever have gotten out of knowing me.
And thing is, the way I feel is the way all people feel. Like Ernie is their good friend. Like all those little messages he has delivered down through the years have added up to one big impact in their lives.
It’s why he so loved. A truly gifted and great broadcaster. A better person.

My column in today's Oakland Press on perceptions and realities about the Tigers: http://tinyurl.com/lbkf6z

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Jeff said...

Well said, Pat.

God Blees you, Ernie!

1:27 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of our lives are better because Ernie was a part of it.

Whether we personally know him, or just by listening to him on the radio, his impact on generations of us cannot be ignored.

God Bless Ernie!

1:36 PM 
Blogger Detroit Sports Dork said...

Pitch perfect, Pat. Ernie's goodness us so authentic. What a gift he's been to all Tigerdom.

2:33 PM 
Blogger falcons00 said...

Before Ernie went into the nursing home. I Shook hands with Ernie. I grew up watching him. He touched my life. God Bless Ernie, Thanks Pat

Chris Baker

4:00 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

Great post. What a wonderful man. Ernie's acceptance of this situation and love of life are truly inspiring. God bless him.

Travis

6:34 PM 
Blogger Rndlion said...

As someone growing up listening to every Tigers game possible, Ernie Harwell was my surrogate Grandfather. He always spoke in a way that made you never want to stop listening. His baseball descriptions were flawless, but his life anecdotes will always stay with me. We were blessed to have him in our homes and cars for as long as we did. May God Bless Ernie always.

5:15 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

So much has been said about Mr. Harwell, deservedly so.

All that I can add is how fantastic it would be as a tribute for Mr. Harwell for the Tigers to make the post season as AL Central champs - and do him proud in the playoffs.

I believe that in one way or another, Mr. Harwell would be very very pleased.

2:58 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

To all on this thread,
I wrote in my column today that it would great and touching if Ernie were able to call just one more inning during the postseason. That's something I hope very much happens.
Caputo

10:38 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't Know where Ernie's last resting place will be but it would be nice if it was at Michigan and Trumball a great memorial for a great man.
I Met Ernie at an Ironman Dinner for Higgy in the 90's and had the pleasure to break bread with him.
what a down to earth fellow. I could listen to him all day and night.
Detroit has few hero's left and he is one we can be proud off.
God bless you Ernie :)

9:20 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home