Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On Chelly, Mags, The Cubbies and Tiger Stadium

Chris Chelios played in more winning games than any player in NHL history. When you really think about it, he is the greatest American hockey player of all time. But did he hold on for too long? I mean, there are going to be a lot of people who will only remember Chelios for what he was like late in his career. Still a good player, but not the terror he was when he was in his 20s and early 30s.

Random Thoughts

- Although I am among those who believe the Tigers would benefit a great deal from a return to form by Magglio Ordonez - and he should get the chance - I don’t believe Jim Leyland should play him until the Tigers lose.
Donald Kelly has been hot at the plate. OK. He is a 4-A player. Ride him until he slumps - then put in Magglio.

- Like most, I have fond memories of watching the Cubs on WGN on many a summer afternoon. But aren’t White Sox fans a more down and dirty? Same with the teams? I do miss Harry Carey. I thought he was terrific. People forget, however, that he crafted his persona in Chicago with the White Sox first. It’s funny seeing old clips of Carey wearing a suit when he was the Cardinals’ announcer in the 1950s and 1960s.

- Sad isn’t it, that Tiger Stadium basically collapsed on its own about 2:30 p.m. yesterday. Tell me that isn’t the baseball gods sending a message? Something - anything - should have been done to Tiger Stadium sooner. Michigan and Trumbull. God I miss it. Have in the worst way for a long time, despite my growing affection for Comerica Park.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

I kind of with you on that one concerning Maggs. I would use Maggs as your back-up DH if Thames gets cold and a bat off the bench. Don Kelly was a good pick-up as a reserve player. He is definitely a good utility player as he can play the outfield and infield. Kelly could one of those guys that mature late. But you can’t expect to hit 25 homeruns. Some hitters do mature later than other. I would not be surprise if C Thomas gets hot at AAA he will be back up. They should also thinking about bringing Scram or Boesch up to AAA to get their left-handed bat adjusted to better pitching.

9:55 AM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I tell you I agree. I think it is actually a shame feel they actually let Tiger stadium out to dry. To me the best part of Tiger stadium was that it was one of the very few parks you can really hear the sound of the game. Balls hitting the glove. Balls jumping off the bat. Players talking on the field. Comerica Park is great, but don't compare.

As far as mags. I died laughing when you said he was shot right in the ass before he hit that ACS homer.. lol I am a big magglio fan. I would like to see him get another chance. I don't think we should dump on him. I am more pissed about the contracts Dumbrowski dished out to guys like Sheffield, Willis, and Robertson. The same people that are bitching about Ordonez are the same ones that said we should dump sheffield and are now saying we should of kept him look what he is doing for the Mets haha. Its a lose lose. Ordonez clearly has issues. I think it is the way he was treated in the WBC, his family situation. It has just taken a tole on him mentally. It happens. Why I think the time off will help. maybe clear his head... I say watch for after the All star break I bet you he goes on a tear. Hopefully it will be for us. I'd like to see Magglio, Granderson and either a Hawpe or Holliday for the stretch..

10:34 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Barry,
There you go. You got Magglio back in the lineup. He better start hitting soon, though, or it would surprise me if the Tigers release him.
Caputo

2:48 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
I don't think Magglio is totally done. I think he will play reasonably well again in the major leagues, but it might not be in Detroit. This might just turn out to be a lost season for him.
Caputo

2:49 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home