Monday, May 23, 2011

On the American League Central race...

I have to give the Cleveland Indians credit for winning three straight games against Cincinnati this weekend. Great performance, winning a couple one-run games. But I still believe they will fade.
If the Indians go .500 the rest of the season, they will win 88 games. I don't believe they will go .500 the remainder of the season.
This is what I think will happen with The Tribe: They will play roughly .500 ball this season, but come out of it feeling really good after the fast start and calling up their real future later in the season, infielders Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Kipnis and maybe Cord Phelps. and perhaps a pitching prospect or two.
I still believe the White Sox are coming from behind and are the real threat to win the American League Central.
It's the Tigers that are iffy. The series in Pittsburgh just wasn't good. Even the win Sunday lacked sizzle.
I would put recently called up left-hander Charles Furbush in the rotation and Phil Coke in the bullpen. It seems obvious. I would also move Miguel Cabrera into the three-hole in the batting order. Seems obvious, too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Fred Brill said...

I've got a buddy in Cleveland that's really rubbing it in this year. But at this juncture they seem to be running on all cylinders.

Not hot and cold like our old English D boys.

It's like the Tigers are powered like the light in your house that has two switches - one on both sides of the room - and both switches have to be in perfect alignment - if both switches are up (hitting and bullpen) - the Tigers are a dominant force.

Stop me if I'm getting to technical.

This is the age old problem - at least since 2006. And I don't have a cure or remedy to propose - we just have to wait for someone to flip both switches up.

[deep sigh]

11:26 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, you're right. But you can't throw a switch and have 6 batters that hit under 0.240 become 0.285 hitters. Ain't gonna happen.

It's like asking a pro golfer that averages 71.85 strokes a round to begin averaging 69.71.

Maybe for 5 games but not 20.

I'm beginning to get very depressed with this very lame hitting.

5:31 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
If I were an Indians fan, I'd be kind of quiet right now and enjoy the moment. They have a long trip upcoming.
Caputo

1:05 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Anonymous,
Hitting is down all over baseball. To me, the Tigers biggest issue is bullpen. Cleveland has a better bullpen than Tigers.
Caputo

1:06 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home