Thursday, April 14, 2011

Barry Bonds did something wrong beyond lying to the grand jury. But what, exactly?

Barry Bonds was judged guilty by a jury of his peers Wednesday for lying under oath to a Federal grand jury.
Yet, I don't know if it sent shock waves throughout the baseball world as much as draw a collective shrug of shoulders.
What Bonds exactly did or didn't do regarding performance-enhancing substances remains a mystery. Like before, when he was hitting all those home runs, we only know it was something.
As a Hall of Fame voter, I remain as much in limbo as ever on the issue. Bonds, A-Rod, The Rocket Man...the best players I recall seeing...all did something.
But exactly what?
As for punishment from the court, it will be, to say the least, interesting. Every legal expert analyzing this case doesn't anticipate Bonds, who is now a convicted felon, getting jail time. House arrest? Wearing an orange vest cleaning up Bay Area highways? What is the appropriate punishment for the crime?
The trial itself was surreal. It was widely anticipated, but continually delayed, so by the time it finally arrived, it was almost as if baseball fans did not want to know what they, well, really don't know about Barry Bonds.
When little was really settled on that front in court, well, they really don't care.
It's, "Hey, the Tigers just won two games in a row...."
I think there will only be outrage in 2013 if Bonds gets enough votes to enter the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.
I doubt that will happen, although, personally, I have yet to decide what I will do with my vote.
To this stage, I haven't voted for Mark McGwire or Rafael Palmeiro.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Fred Brill said...

I for one appreciate your stance and hope that you stick to it. It seems like the only means the outside can influence the internal workings of the MLB.

Otherwise it does open the door to future uncomprehendible means to enhance performance - like specially engineered throwing prosthetics (robotic arms) etc...

This can't happen in a professional league that still doesn't allow aluminum bats.

But I imagine one day a Japanese league will introduce robot players and the teams will be by corporation - not city - like NASCAR - and Sony robots will be playing Mitsubishi robots.

But I'll be dead by then.

12:31 PM 
Anonymous Steve said...

I usually can make logical sense of your opinion or stance on a subject Pat. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why you would be wavering on whether or not Bonds belongs in the HOF. Yes, he was not convicted of anything really. But that just seems to me like a shortfall of our justice system. Do you hoestly believe he didn't do anything? Really?!

3:25 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What Bonds exactly did or didn't do regarding performance-enhancing substances remains a mystery."

Seriously?

I agree with you, the Hall of Fame for Bonds is a tough call. But I think you may be the only person in America who thinks it's still a mystery as to whether he was using peds or not.

8:05 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
Problem is, Fred, I really don't know what my stance is. What did we find out from this trial we already didn't know? This went on extensively with Bonds, but we still don't know to what degree. And how much did he do in regard to PEDs compared to other players his generation?
Caputo

12:28 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Steve,
I strongly believe he did something wrong, that he cheated the game. But what exactly? I wouldn't put him on my Hall ballot now, but what about in 2013. How will history look at this trial as a factor?
Caputo

12:30 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Anonymous,
I may be naive, but not that naive. I made it clear he did do something wrong. But tell me what exactly? I thought the trial would provide more answers.
Caputo

12:31 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

I'm sorry, Book, this is one of those cases where - as you often put it - "where there's smoke there is often fire" and I guess you personally have to set a stance as to high high the blaze is. In Bonds' case it was a freaking inferno - same with A-Rod, Clemmens, Palmero ... - who all confessed.
You might have heard the old expression describing structural engineers ... you can build a million bloody bridges ... but do they refer to you as a bridge builder? No. But you [perform an indecent sexual act] and your referred to as a [indecent sexual act performer] for life!

Sorry about the imagery.

2:03 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home