Tuesday, February 23, 2010

On Michigan's Violations, Tom Wilson and Johnny Damon

So Michigan's football program violated the NCAA practice time limits. Sorry. I don't put that in the same category as paying players under the table or fixing grades, or if the deportment of players is out of control and causing concerns in the community.
I think they are minor violations. I think the NCAA should deal with Michigan with minor sanctions or a warning. Then, I think everybody should move on.
This isn't as big a deal as Michigan's unimagined losing ways recently.
It isn't as big a deal as the Justin Feagin disaster.
It isn't as big a deal as Rich Rodriguez stammering so when asked about the recruitment of Demar Dorsey. Or just the whole concept of Rich Rodriguez as the face of the university.
It's a part of the problem in Ann Arbor, a minor part that has been blown way out of proportion by some segments in the media - particularly the Detroit Free Press.
Like I've stated many times in the past. I salute the Free Press for writing the story. It was a good one. But it's the degree I wonder about. They didn't break the Watergate, yet acted like it.

Random Thoughts

- Hiring Tom Wilson and proclaiming it was in large part to work through the Red Wings' arena issues is a tell-tale sign the Red Wings are likely to be playing at The Palace as soon as next season.

- You get the feeling Johnny Damon will say anything you want to hear, but might be thinking something different? Me, too?
I'm a little suspect about the wanting to finish his career as a Tiger line. I kind of get the feeling this was his distination of last resort.

Transcript of my online chat today at theoaklandpress.com. http://tinyurl.com/y8efoe9
Note: I will be doing online chat every Tuesday morning at 11:30 at theoaklandpress.com


My column in Tuesday's Oakland Press on why people believe it when Tiger - or anyone else - apologizes anymore http://tinyurl.com/ybw6njp

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

For some odd reason I feel Michigan might get the NCAA hammer worse than USC.I might be wrong,but they have a thing about displaying swift justice on "minor" offenses,while the programs doing the real dirt get off with a slap on the wrist.

10:12 PM 
Blogger Detroit Sports Dork said...

On Michigan I generally agree. Free Press did go pretty gonzo over its investigative piece, greaming of Pulitzers or whatever. But it did point to a recurrent feature of RichRod's ethical conduct-- moving or crossing the line. Kind of creepy. And then to make it worse, the team's still lousy despite the creepiness!

Regarding Damon, cut him a little slack, Book Everyone gets to be a little full of b.s. during spring training. I don't think he's being manipulative...just trying to make nice after a most peculiar negotiation.

10:27 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

Pat you hit the nail on the head. It seems as if freep sports dept/editors are on a witch hunt. I'm not saying that Michigan isn't innocent but, these are the types of things that happen at 99% of all Division 1 Football programs. It would be like putting a headline on the front page proclaiming that Tom Riddle speeds or jaywalks...

7:09 AM 
Blogger Contrary Guy said...

I am amazed at how many people take things at face value.

I had a co-worker tell me today that he was very enthused about the Damon signing primarily because Johnny said he really wanted to be here.

I left that alone.

9:26 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

c note,
I think the opposite. And it seems like problems at USC are worse. But we'll see.
Caputo

12:34 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

it doesn't matter if Damon wants to be here or not - nor that he tells influencial parties (media - baseball team owners - his wife) - what they want to hear.

He's here. He's clear. For a Year.
I need a beer.

His performace matters. And if he stinks up the joint - then we ride like a pony at a little girls birthday party.

PS - lets get this done with Russia - we want another shot at those blowhard Yanks! Well, at least one blowhard I can think of ...

12:35 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Larry Baker,
I think you perfect perspective. If this was just the only thing, Rich Rodriguez wouldn't be under so much heat. But it just another part of a much bigger problem. It just isn't working.
Caputo

12:35 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

footballgeek,
I think "witch hunt" is too strong a term for it, but I do feel the Free Press blew this out of proportion.
Caputo

12:36 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Core Contrarian,
LOL. I think your post sums up exactly what I'm thinking about Johnny Damon's "love" for Detroit and the Tigers.
Caputo

12:38 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
I think the Canadians have their hands full tonight. Ovechkin will be out to prove he, not Crosby, is the world's best player.
Caputo

1:43 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home