Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Perhaps Not So Surprisingly, The Ducks Showing Some Championship Pedigree

I know there is a lot of disappointment in this town over the Red Wings’ Game 6 loss to Anaheim Tuesday night - and there should be.
But, honestly, I don’t think the Red Wings played that poorly. I was more impressed with how the Ducks responded.
That team was done after Game 5, wasn’t it? The Red Wings thrashed the Ducks up one end of the ice and down the other. They had no jump at all. If it weren’t for two goal posts and a cross bar hit by the Red Wings, it would have been 6-1 or 7-1.
I’ve seen the Ducks as formidable, but may not have given them enough credit for having a championship pedigree. To me, they were a one-year champions - not a team that was going to win multiple Cups in a short span. That will likely prove to be true. I do expect the Red Wings to win Game 7 tonight.
Yet, you must to give the Ducks credit for their propensity to keep coming back from the dead. They made deadline trades that were for the future more than now, and were hopelessly out of the playoff race, and still somehow got it. They proved to have a lot more pluck than the consistently disappointing San Jose Sharks in the opening round. And they have certainly given the Red Wings all they can handle, despite the Red Wings superior depth and playing what is essentially a journeyman goalie in Jonas Hiller.

Random Thoughts

- Another benefit of Joel Zumaya returning is Jim Leyland can use Ryan Perry in a longer role. This will help stretch out his arm and allow him to work on all his pitches. I still wouldn’t be surprised if Perry is the Tigers’ closer by the season’s end.

- I’m not sure if the Cavaliers will lose a game in the Eastern Conference finals, either.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you flip flop more than anyone ever witnessed. sunday night you said that the ducks were done. those were your words yet when the wings lose game 7 you'll take the other side of the discussion like you always do.

1:24 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

Heck who is to say the CAVS may lose a game in the playoffs.. Houston had some fun with L.A. and Cleveland by far is better then Houston in my mind. It will be interesting to see if Lebron can finally lift Clevelands curse..

I tell you is there any worse/inconsistant officiating then that of the NHL. How does bettman allow this to continue. I mean that game 6 was something else.. I personally expected this series to go 6 or 7. I personally would have rather faced San Jose then Anaheim.. People forget they are only 2 years removed from the cup. At the same time I think the wings will handle their business and win game 7. Speaking of the wings how about Franzen.. There was that debate all year about Hossa or Franzen.. if you look back in the archives I stated I preferred Franzen. I mean the choice is easy. with the wings it is about the playoffs. what has Hossa done and what has Franzen done easy choice.

I am looking forward to see Willis tonight. Though is numbers in his Rehab stints didn't really excite me.. I am just wondering if this is just a disaster waiting to happen. Speaking of gamers what about everyones new found hero Gallaraga. Has teams figured him out or is this just a mild slump. We will find out..

2:27 PM 
Anonymous Marty said...

To Anonymous,

At least Pat is able to see his mistakes and not just say it was an aboration. He actually took the time to relook at the issue and found that there may be more reason to the ducks winning than some offhand remark.

Flip-flopping is a good trait, it means that you have an open mind and are willing to see the little issues that go with every decision you make. Only a moron is unable to find fault with any opinion, and blindly follows any belief. Those are the men/women who fail spectacularly.

-Marty

3:38 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Anonymous,
They did look done in Game 5, but I also pointed in my column and on a radio and television that playoff hockey is unpredictable. You never know. Also, my job isn't to dig in fence posts and take one position no matter what. Circumstnaces change and so do opinions, my included. And I've never been hesitant to admit when I was wrong.
Caputo

2:04 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
The Red Wings would have been a lot better off facing San Jose. The Ducks have some really tough playoff-tested players - and their goalie was very good given his lack of playoff experience.
Caputo

2:05 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Marty,
sports columnists are not politicians taking stances for idealistic reasons. Two classic caes in my career. I got all over Joe Dumars for drafting Darko. I was right. I also got all over him for firing Rick Carlisle. I was wrong. Just the way it goes in the opinion business.
Caputo

2:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home