Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Seems Like Conklin Could Get It Done In Playoffs

Chris Osgood is healthy again and played well the other night in Minnesota, but overall hasn’t Ty Conklin been the Red Wings’ best goalie so far this season?
There is little doubt, unless he is injured or totally collapses from a performance standpoint, which is unlikely, Osgood will be the Red Wings’ goalie to open the playoffs.
But what if they had to turn to Conklin, either because of injury or because of ineffective performance by Osgood?
Conklin has played in just one playoff game. He is very unproven that way. I think he would do well. It does seem like the better the competition, and the more the stakes are raised, at least since he’s been with the Red Wings, the better he has played. Doesn’t seem like he allows a lot of soft goals, either. Conklin has proven what he did last season with Pittsburgh when forced into regular duty wasn’t a fluke.
The playoffs do present such scenarios. Did just last year with Osgood replacing Dominik Hasek. He was as unlikely a hero. While Osgood did have the ‘98 championship under his belt, he hadn’t won a playoff series since until last season.

Random Thoughts

- Purdue’s shocking 0-2 start does seem to open a window of opportunity for Michigan State to win its first regular season Big Ten title since 2001. The Spartans are playing exceptionally well. Then again, Bo Ryan and Wisconsin are still looming undefeated so far in conference play.

- Alexis Gomez hasn’t done much since he left the Tigers. Come to think of it, he didn’t much before he joined the Tigers. Maybe he’ll regain the magic after signing a minor league contract this week. He sure came through in the ‘06 ALCS ,didn’t he?

12 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Tigers should have stay with T Perez and he had two good years at AAA and provided a spark on the 07 Tigers. Speedy Guzman should have been signed also. Is this a prelude for more moves to come, I hope?

3:06 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spartans have to feel like they have a shot to win the regular season title, they'd need to win on the road (obvious comment) meaning they'd have to win in Champagne, Madison, and Bloomington, and I'd have to imagine the Hoosiers will be fired up for that one. Michigan has played very strongly in the early going.

Purdue's two losses will help, but the Boilers will need to drop a few more.

7:41 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I think as a Tiger fan u'd have to be some what concerned as u watch a lot of the talent the tigers could use get gobbled up. I can't sit here and thing to myself that Laird, Everett, Edwin Jackson, and Alexis Gomez were the missing peices and will automatically elevate us. Our bullpen still looks the same and I really think we could use some left handed pop. Personally I am not 100% sold on Guillen in LF. I love guillen's bat but at LF not sure. I thought for sure we could fill it with one of the veterans out there on a 1 or 2 year contract. IT is what it is.. I just thought we were right there and a couple peices we could be right back. I am not 100% confident at the moment based on the moves we made..That's just me..

9:58 AM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Barry,
I don't see Timo Perez would have helped the Tigers that much. I think you'll see a lot more transitions of minor nature like this.
Caputo

4:44 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

John in Oxford,
The goal for MSU should be to hold serve at home and just do a little bit better than splitting on the road.
Caputo

4:45 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
Gomez is a longshot to be the Tigers this season. The other players are expected to be regulars.
Caputo

4:47 PM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Still no bullpen. Still no closer.

Oh well, at least we have Inge at third. He'll save the day.

Yes, I'm kidding.

Mr. Dombrowski - you're down to your last 3 weeks.

Please?

6:16 PM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

I understand they are expected to be starters and that Gomez is a long shot. My point really was I don't think the Tigers really have done nothing that tells me they will take the Central and or make it back to the playoffs. Now I could be wrong, but I still think DD has some work to do and a few aquisitions to make in order to put this team in the right direction. Like a solid closer or promote Robertson (who I think would be ideal) and I'd like to see them sign a LH batting veteran..

8:07 PM 
Blogger Russell said...

The solution in LF is the D-Train. He does not seem able to adapt his pitching motion to his new bigger frame. By the same token, the extra lbs. will only enhance his big left-handed bat.

11:27 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
The no bullpen thing is a little disturbing. Could it be you'll get Fernando Rodney? Oh my.
Caputo

5:10 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
To me, the Indians will be the favorite. They have added Derosa and Wood and will have Marintez and Hafner back healthy.
Caputo

5:11 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Russell,
Hey, it worked Ainkel, why not Willis? He is a pretty good hitter.
Caputo

5:12 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home