Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pistons Running Out Of Excuses

The one thing about Piston coach Michael Curry’s insistence on playing "small ball" is that gave the Pistons an excuse.
They weren’t going to win much with a three-guard lineup. That much was evident.
Well, now that Curry has done what seemed inevitable - taken Richard Hamilton out of the starting lineup - the Pistons are out of excuses.
The Pistons also have six of their next seven games at home, including against Cleveland and Boston.
Litmus test time.

- My best guess is that the Tigers will sign Justin Verlander to a one-year contract to avoid arbitration. Verlander is still three years away from free agency and coming off by far his worst season. Given his performance last season and the state of the economy, it would behoove the Tigers to wait before giving Verlander a long-term contract that takes him into his free agency year. It would also benefit Verlander, because his value will be higher if he returns to form this coming season. Doubt it get to arbitration, though.

- The Red Wings need Henrik Zetterberg to play better. He was minus four Tuesday night at Phoenix and is scoring less than a point per game.

- Greg Robinson seems like an ideal fit for the Michigan defensive coordinator position. Some coaches are just made certain roles. Obviously, it wasn’t to be a head coach for Robinson, who labored at Syracuse. But he is an excellent coordinator.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger maddog52 said...

I will say this book. Its about time for Curry to make the change in the lineup. In my mind that excuse he had cost the Pistons some games. Personally I thought he wasted a perfect opportunity to show that he is for real. Prove that the players don't run the asylum. But at the expense of some needed victories he waited to long. I think he has made some very suspect decisisons. For a team that lacks energy I don't know how they sat a dude like Maxiell 3 games prior to the Hornets game. Maybe it is Curry going through his growing pains as a coach fine, but u are half way into the season and like u said no more excuses. At the same time I am tired of hearing blame on the coaches. These players got to start looking in the mirror a lot more. Lets face it Amir is not where the Pistons hoped he'd be at this point. Neither is Maxiell in my mind. The only consistent players in my mind has been Stucky, Afflalo, TP and McDyess to a lesser extent.

I like the Robinson hiring. I also find the Cunningham hiring interesting. I think Cunningham has more work cut out for him. The lions front the coaching don't matter until they get the talent upgraded.

Michigan's basketball team is spiriling out isn't it. This will be a true test the next few games to find out what they are really made of.

11:53 AM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

I heard on my way to work this morning that Verlander was asking for 4 point something and the Tigers were only offering three - it sounded like they were already on their way to arbitration - although I would have to guess they can still resolve it before that.

Verlander is NOT a player I want to see go someplace else. Nor is he a player I want to see have hard feelings against the club. I think his best chance of rebounding as a Tiger is only if he is happy - not fat - but just satisfied.

The amount he is asking is not nearly as much as he could be asking.

I don't want Verlander rebounding on somebody else's team.

I wrote on here when Billups was traded that I thought he was beneficiary of the great talent around him. I apologize now to him for that (he reads your blog comments right Pat?) - because he has proven me very wrong.

He left and this team is flapping like sails on a boat with no captain.

I had no idea how wrong I was about Mr. Big-shot.

As for Henrik - he will pull out of his little slump.

12:28 PM 
Blogger Detroit Sports Dork said...

Re: Pistons. I think we may have had the litmus test. Local coverage has described this as a lack of chemistry or growing pains. I think this is a team in decline with a befuddled coach who has not really delivered on the effort, accountability, superior conditioning that was supposed to mark his regime. I'm sure Joe knew the Iverson deal was likely to be a short-term dud, but I would love to know what he's thinking about Saint Micheal. If Curry is over his head that directly reflects on the GM. Hope I'm wrong.

7:58 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
I agree with you about Robinson. He will have talent to work with. Cunningham's talent will be limited, but it's going to be up to this new coaching staff to get more out of Redding and Sims and White.
Caputo

3:33 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Fred Brill,
Billups has played better in Denver than I expected him to play, too. Seems like he needed the change of scenary. Richard Hamilton may, too. Verlander and the Tigers will likely split the difference on a one-year contract.
Caputo

3:35 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Larry Baker,
I don't know if Dumars looks at him as Saint Michael. Seems like Curry is very much on the spot.
Caputo

3:36 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home