Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Think About This When It Come to the Pistons

I do not want to besmirch the legacy Ben Wallace has left behind in Detroit. Without him, the Pistons never would have risen from the ashes and won the NBA title. Nor would they have reached the NBA Finals the following season. Nor had all those 50-plus victory seasons. However, I am not sure his departure to the Chicago Bulls leaves the Pistons in quite the sad state many people evidently think. Consider this: Big Ben was awful in the playoffs last season. He could not make a free throw if his life depended on it, did not protect the basket with his usual effectiveness and whined incessantly that he did not get the ball enough - even though he is a limited threat offensively. Despite that, the Pistons got the Eastern Conference Finals. Nazr Mohammed and Flip Murray should help the Pistons. I see Joe Dumars making a deal or two deal along the way. Now do I think the Pistons chances of winning the NBA title would be better if they had retained Ben Wallace? Yes. But this is still a really good team. And the Ben Wallace we saw in the playoffs last spring did not help them one iota.

Random thoughts

- Southern Cal is in trouble. I would not be surprised if the Trojans lose at least two more games this season. The real power on the West Coast is Cal. Jeff Tedford may be overrated when it comes to developing big-time NFL quarterbacks, but his Golden Bears are underrated.. It would surprise me to see them land in the BCS title game. Yet, they might be worthy of it. That opening loss to Tennessee was a long time ago. I have a feeling if they played again, Cal would win in a romp. Wonder if Cal could be Michigan on a neutral site. Just might find out in the Rose Bowl.

- I liked the "60 Minutes" profile on Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis. I did not realize he was that hard-nosed. He is more out of the Bill Parcells mode than I realized in terms of his demeanor.

- This season is being set up for Mike Martz to leave the Lions. They are losing, but gaining a lot of yards with limited talent. Martz can make a case the losing is not his fault and get out of Dodge while the getting is good.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the end the Ben persona became more than his actual productivity. I think the change will result in better offense at the expense of some defensive potency - but it will net out positive for the team.

10:02 AM 
Blogger maddog52 said...

The Pistons situation with Ben Wallace is what it is. Personally I think Chicago is going to regret paying 60 million for him, because they are going to realize they are paying him 60 million for what he has done not what he can give them. It was evident in his performance last night and last year. I do think Dumars should have prepared a little better knowing that Ben was going to take a huge payday. Ben couldn't make a basket if the hoop was as big an olympic size swimming whole. That was evident last night in the game against Miami. The guy has lost a step. Do I think he still would have been a good fit for us. Yes! I think though we got more options and can do more things. Mohammad looked pretty good. Just our other guys need to step up. One thing that was evident about this team is that Flip must utilize his bench more. Give some of these guys a chance. If Maxiell and even that blaylock kid can look anywhere near what they did in the preseason. I like our squad and I think we have a good shot at competing for the Eastern Crown. I'd love to see us sign Jalen Rose. Even if that means the expense of Delfino or something. THen personally I don't think we need to make a move. My pick is the Pistons will play Miami again in the Eastern Finals. With D. Wade taking it in 7. In the West which I think will be fascinating. My sleeper is the (call me crazy) Clippers. I like that team with Brand, Magette, Kaman, Mobley, Livingston, and Tim Thomas and Cassell coming off the pine. But Dallas will probably take it again. I am saying this is Dallas Year.

I agree on Cal. They have been a silent killer over the last few years. I do think they are better then USC. I think the Trojans are no where near what there record indicates this year. Hell they almost lost to Arizona State.

As far as the Lions. What the hell is up with them. It makes no sense about Azhir Ahkeem. You said it yesterday the li-downs are worse the rock bottom and that is a joke. Martz will probably split. I don't think it will be until next year though. I don't see a real big turnover in coaches. I think the key for the lions this second half will be the play of Lehman and Alex Lewis. If those two guys can play and play extremely well. Then in the off season we must go after good FA/Draft good lineman. Both sides. I like some of the guys on the market next year for the O-line. Gandy and Lilja. The second area we need to address is that secondary. Build around Bly. Nate Clements is avail. We need a guy like that. But Millen will be back and we will be takling about the same old crap. I am done. I am still on the band wagon. But I am not going to care. This is why lions fans have two teams.

10:40 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book!
1:30 East Lansing Press Conference!
Could it be!
Viva Revolution!

12:36 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dead on with the "could not make a free throw if his life depended on it, did not protect the basket with his usual effectiveness and whined incessantly that he did not get the ball enough - even though he is a limited threat offensively."
Plus we were playing 4 on 5 on offense, regardless of what Ben says. It's hard to watch when the other team actually WANTS to give to ball to one of your players because he can't shoot. $60 million? I don't think so.
I like their chances now, but as you say, Joe will probably do some more dealing.

Go Pistons!

Danny

5:48 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Tom Mohan,
That was my point. I'm not sure it won't have the negative bearing on the Pistons many expect. But the possiblity does exsist it will have a positive one, too. They didn't exactly get to the Eastern Conference finals because of Big Ben last season. Why can't they get back there without him, and after a couple decent veteran players.
Caputo

7:57 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Maddog52,
I, too, want to see what some of their younger players have got. I hope they get a chance early this season.
Caputo

7:58 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Nick P,
I didn't write about MSU on my blog today, but my column in the print edition of The Oakland Press was about it was just a matter of when John L was going to get fired. Turned out it was sooner instead of later. I was at the press conference and wrote about it for my column in Thursday's paper.
Caputo

8:00 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

I Rule,
The Pistons remaining strength, in my opinion, is their backcourt. And with Rasheed Wallace being a big guy who likes to shoot from the outside, the danger is always there the Pistons will fall into the habit of relying too much on their outside shooting. They could use a slasher to the basket.
Caputo

8:02 PM 
Blogger Pat Caputo said...

Danny,
Yeah. Dumars is a great GM and he has enough left to pull off a deal or two. I am shocked people seem to be almost down on the Pistons. This is still a pretty good team.
Caputo

8:04 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home