Monday, April 04, 2011

What seem to me to be obvious things about the Tigers' lineup

The thing that struck me most about the Tigers' victory over the Yankees Sunday was just how much more threatening their lineup was than in the first two games of the season.
That Victor Martinez should be catching most games, and that Ramon Santiago should be starting most days at second base.
That those two veterans - one a premier free agent and a lifetime .300 hitter (Martinez) - should flip-flop projected roles with Alex Avila and Will Rhymes.
It also opens up the designated hitter spot for any one of three outfielders with a lot life in their bats - Magglio Ordonez, Ryan Raburn or Brennan Boesch. It seems like at this stage of the season anyway, all three of them should be in the lineup on a daily basis.
It also keeps Jim Leyland from having to manage like a National League manager in the American League during the late innings. The Tigers don't have a third catcher on their roster.
The downside is that it takes away from the Tigers making defensive replacements at shortstop in the late innings. But that wouldn't be the case if Danny Worth replaced Rhymes and the Tigers used Santiago as their primary second baseman, working Worth into the rotation at second.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to suck up but for what it's worth that is the best Tigers analysis I have read so far this year.

11:37 AM 
Blogger Fred Brill said...

Book,

Only 3 games into the season without a home game yet - yet I agree with you about Rhymes and Avilla. I can't remember seeing a weaker starting catcher on a supposedly contending club's roster. He is a gaping Achilles Heel in my humble opinion.

Too bad, I do like Rhymes - but I agree he is a 4A second baseman.

As for Boesch - it was great to see him go 4-4 with the long homer yesterday - but he has to show strong numbers a couple more times before I think he should be hitting everyday.

Lets see if they beat the snot stuffings out of Baltimore these next three games - and then we will have an idea about how real this season's Tigers are.

I got my fingers crossed - I'm emotionaly invested already - but guarded none-the-less.

PS - I predict Tiger Woods won't even make the weekend at the Masters - too bad - I'm a huge Woods fan (as a golfer - not a person).

12:24 PM 
Blogger Barry said...

Pat, I almost totally agree. I always thought Santiago should have been in the running. If I remember correctly Sanitiago was rushed to the MLB. I think Rhymes/Sanitiago should split time at 2B until one becomes the better player. I would like to see too that Raburn and Boesch get 500 ABs apiece this year. One bright spot is the Tigers have depth in the minors. This is a nice problem to have.

1:47 PM 
Anonymous Michael C said...

100% agree that Martinez should be the every day catcher. It makes our offense a lot more potent. Besides, it doesn't make sense to pay Martinez that much to be a DH.

Most of his value is because he hits so good for a catcher. At DH he's only a bit above average, and you can get guys like Thome on 1 year small money deals if you just want a DH.

10:12 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home